• Heavy Metal Detox: Bentonite Clay Method {guest post}

by  • August 6, 2012 • Detox 101 Series, Healthy You, Natural Remedies, Research • 25 Comments

{Other Detox 101 Posts}
    Why Detox
    Detox FAQs
    Full Body Detox: Juice Fasting Method
    Detox: Staying Hydrated
    Liver Detox: Herbal Cleansing Method
    Skin Detox: Dry Brushing Method
    Colon Detox: Best Methods

{Guest Post by Jill at Jill’s Home Remedies}

It is nearly impossible in our day to completely avoid contact with heavy metals.  Whether we are putting toxic metals on our skin, in our mouths, or breathing them in, these toxins are certain to have a negative affect on our health!

Some of these heavy metals are:

• Lead
    • Mercury
    • Aluminum
    • Nickel
    • Cadmium

Here are some ways many of us are bombarded with toxic heavy metals:

• Drinking Water
    • Vaccinations
    • Non-Organic Produce
    • Antiseptic Creams
    • Pharmaceutical Drugs
    • Mercury Dental Fillings {Did you know high levels of mercury are released every time you chew with a tooth that has a mercury dental filling?  Choose white fillings instead if a dental filling is needed!}
    • Cigarette Smoke
    • Paints
    • Pesticides, Herbicides, Insecticides
    • Air Pollution
    • Antiperspirant Deodorant
    • Baking Powder {buy aluminum-free}
    • Baking With Foil and Aluminum Cookware
    • Cosmetics

Is it really that big of a deal to come into contact with heavy metals?

Heavy metals store themselves in our soft tissue and bones, which can wreak havoc on our body!

Below are some of the possible side effects of heavy metal poisoning:

• Abdominal Pain
    • Fatigue
    • Nausea
    • Vomiting
    • Brain Damage
    • Cancer
    • Bad Breath
    • Vision Damage
    • Hearing Loss
    • Cerebral Palsy
    • Parkinson’s Disease
    • Alzheimer’s
    • Dermatitis

These possible side effects are not something to take lightly, in my opinion.  Is it important to not only avoid products and lifestyles that bring you in contact with toxic metals, it’s also important to cleanse your body on a regular basis.

Ways to cleanse heavy metals…

My favorite herb for cleansing heavy metals is Bentonite Clay.

Bentonite Clay has a strong negative ionic charge, causing it to magnetically grab the metals and toxins in your body and get rid of them.

There are two ways I take Bentonite Clay:

1.  Internally
    Mix 1 tablespoon clay with 8 oz. of water.  Drink daily for 4-6 weeks for a good heavy metal cleanse.  Make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day, and consuming enough fiber so that your body can eliminate the toxins. Do this internal clay cleansing a few times a year.
    2.  Externally
    I love using Bentonite Clay in baths.  Bentonite Clay is very effective in pulling toxins out as you soak.
    Place 2 pounds of clay in a hot bath, breaking up the clumps.  Soak for 20-30 minutes.  As you’re soaking, grab pieces of clay and rub around your neck, under your arms, behind your knees, around groin area – any place you have glands.
    You can also stand in the bath and mix the clay with enough water to make a thick paste and rub it all over your body {it is recommended to not use metal bowls or utensils}.  Leave on for 20-30 minutes and then rinse.
    You will feel so refreshed, clean and thankful to be rid of more heavy metals!  I recommend taking one bath a week for a month if you’ve never cleansed heavy metals, then try to take one once a month or so to keep the heavy metals away.
     Begin today to make heavy metal cleansing a part of your life and enjoy the healthy results!

Jill is a Christian and has been married to her dear husband for 12 years.  She’s a homeschool mom of 4 and is thankful for God’s goodness in her daily life.  As a certified family herbalist, her passions include reading and researching about health and home remedies, and sharing with others the knowledge she gains.  You can find her blogging at Jill’s Home Remedies and connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About

Jasmine is a God-fearing, always-learning, stay-at-home-wife to the best husband in the world! In the past couple of years, her new found loves have become herbal fix ‘ems and things “all natural”! She is continually learning to slow down, enjoying the important, simple things in life…like naturally taking care of her home, husband and health. She really enjoys creating things “home-made” and showing others how to do the same! You can also connect with her on Twitter and Facebook.

25 Responses to Heavy Metal Detox: Bentonite Clay Method {guest post}

1. August 6, 2012 at 11:22 am

There are also a lot of people who have mercury poisoning and are either not diagnosed with anything or misdiagnosed. My husband had mercury poisoning from fillings, and was misdiagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and reoccurring Mono. If not for a talk show we still would not know what was wrong, he continues to detox with a foot ionizer and chlorella. He had all the fillings removed, and replaced, and is doing great. More people need to know about this.

2. August 6, 2012 at 11:51 am

Great info, thank you. What if you are pregnant/nursing or have a compromised immune system (systemic lupus)?

• August 6, 2012 at 11:52 am

I am pregnant, my mom has lupus.

• August 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Chi Chi… Bentonite clay can safely be used while pregnant and nursing. You can use it internally as it doesn’t stir-up toxins, but rather pulls and absorbs them, therefore, allowing you to safely heavy metal detox without harming your baby. That being said, I would be sure you choose a reputable source like Bulk Herb Store to purchase a high quality clay from.
        While I haven’t come across any reason why someone with SLE couldn’t use bentonite clay, I would suggest working with a naturopathic doctor to monitor any unpleasant responses just in case.

3. Carolyn
      August 6, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Jill, using the clay in a bath sounds good, but I was wondering if there is any concern about clogging the drain? After the bath, do you just let all that clay go out with the bath water?

• August 6, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Carolyn… When I take a bath with bentonite clay, I let the clay settle for about a half hour or so. When I am ready to drain the water, I use a thin cloth (like cheesecloth) to cover the drain hole and hold it in place before releasing the water. I wouldn’t recommend letting all that clay go down your drain. After all the water is gone I scoop out the remaining clay and throw it out. It is very time consuming, but totally worth the results in my experience. :)

• Kim Douglas
          November 5, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I am so happy you addressed this issue of not letting the clay go down the drain. It would cause so much havoc, if not in one’s own house, the public sewer system would be affected. Bentonite clay is waterproof, thick and heavy and is used to stop water leaks in numerous applications. It would be selfish to utilize this in the bath, gain benefits for oneself and then not take responsibility to dispose of properly. Thank you :)

4. Jamila
      August 6, 2012 at 4:31 pm

can you use bentonite clay while nursing?

• August 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Jamila… from the research that I have done personally, yes… you can use bentonite clay while nursing.

5. Dan
      January 10, 2013 at 7:16 am

Hi you lovely people,

(When taking a clay bath) Does the clay remove only toxins? or do I need to replace anything good taken out of my body with supplements?
      I have just had a report back confirming high mercury level and am contemplating baths as I want a light approach.

From
      Brr – Cold ole England

• January 10, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Bentonite clay is effective in removing metal and toxins from your body. It can be taken interally or used in a bath. Both are a gentle approach to removing metals from your body. I even use it in my tooth paste. Do some extra research to see what would be the best method for you :)

6. Christine
      March 7, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Is it safe to give bentonite clay to children? If so, what would the dosage per age/weight be? Thanks!

• March 8, 2013 at 8:10 am

Christine…Yes. Bentonite clay is safe to use with young children. Though I cannot give you an exact measurement, most children do well to start at a dose that is 1/4 to 1/2 of an adult dose. I always recommend starting at the lowest dose and working your way up as needed. Also, you may want to include adding a fiber supplement to avoid any constipation in children.

• Christine
          March 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Ok thank you! Do you know if it is safe to use bentonite clay to treat a diaper area fungal rash on infants? My sister’s daughter has had one for MONTHS now and it just won’t go away! Even with the nystatin!

• audrey
            April 18, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Try coconut oil for a diaper rash. Works quickly on my daughter every time!

7. Laura
      May 5, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Hello, I just started taking Bentonite Clay internally a couple days ago. Is it normal to get VERY fatigued? Is it just a sign you are cleansing?
      Thank you!

• stacey
        November 4, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I would say so, Laura. But I am not a doctor :) If you are increasing your pH level, then things will die off in your body, and there may be fatigue. You may also need to drink more water and take it a little more slowly with the internal clay.

8. Pingback: Bentonite Clay 101 | The Starving Artist

9. December 3, 2013 at 9:01 am

Just an added note regarding using the betonite clay in the bath, you can use a plastic pitcher and scoop out the water and the clay to use for watering your plants both indoor and out, they will love it.

10. Beth
      December 3, 2013 at 9:22 pm

There is a concern with soaking in bathtubs that many people may not realize: the possibility of lead leaching from the tub itself. This can happen in bathtubs both old and new and is a leading cause of lead poisoning, especially in children. I would suggest testing tubs for lead before using them for cleansing heavy metals from the body. Here’s a post that talks about this:

More info on lead can be found here:

11. SteveF
      January 23, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I have been using feed grade sodium bentonite I buy from the feed store for about $30 for 40lbs. I add 2-3 cups in a half filled 5 gallon bucket which mix with mt battery powered hand drill with a paint stirrer attachment. It totally dissolves all the clay which I then dump in my bath water. I know they clays very good because it wants to clump together so much it is impossible to mix any other way except in blender and that is too messy. So it must have a lot of pulling power. I also run my jukkuzi jets to help mix even more but that’s not needed. I notice no difference in my health because I feel so good already but I want to stay that way.

12. Mary
      June 22, 2014 at 12:02 pm

2lbs of clay seems expensive. Do you buy it in bulk somewhere for a good price ? And does it matter what kind since it is external instead of internal? Thank you for this information :)

• June 25, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Mary…I personally only use 1 pound for my detox baths. I do recommend getting only bentonite clay for the baths though. I purchase mine at Bulk Herb Store.

13. Beth
      June 25, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I learned recently that Dr. Paul Eck and Dr. Lawrence Wilson, who developed the Nutritional Balancing program that focuses on remineralizing the body and detoxifying heavy metals, believe that bentonite and other clays contain too much aluminum to be consumed internally.