• “How To” DIY for the Week: All Natural Deodorant

by  • June 12, 2013 • DIY Projects, Healthy You, Natural Body Care • 17 Comments

100_2636 title

{Note: This blog is a re-post – Originally published on December 9, 2011}

After several errands and helping my husband finish some outdoor chores, I am ready to show you how to make your own deodorant! Yes, deodorant.

Have you ever done any research on that flowery or baby powder smelling stuff on a stick that you apply daily to your underarms? Well…if you haven’t you REALLY should!!!
    In my quest to apply as little harmful products to my body’s largest organ as possible (yes, your skin is your body’s largest organ!) I quickly found that the over-the-counter and prescription antiperspirant/deodorants have quite a few not-so-good-for-your-body ingredients, thus my attempt to create something safer to absorb the “stank” from my underarms. Again, I know I could mosey on over to the health food store and buy all kinds of “healthy” deodorants, but really…who wants to pay for that when you can MAKE IT! Lol!
    Okay…after a few, not so wonderful attempts, I think I have found something that works!
    (2013 UPDATE: I haven’t bought deodorant from the store in over 2 years! This deodorant recipe is the absolute only underarm B.O. control that has ever worked so well for so long. I love, love, love this recipe!)
    You will need :
    1/4 cup Baking Soda
    1/4 cup corn starch (or arrowroot powder)
    4-8 TBSP of Coconut oil in solid state
    1/2 tsp Jojoba oil (optional)
    Essential Oils (optional)
    A container to put deodorant in
    100_2619
    In a bowl blend your baking soda and cornstarch together. The baking soda does a great job of absorbing the “stank” while the starch aids in thickening the deodorant and reduces underarm irritation.
    {UPDATE: I found I like arrowroot powder better than cornstarch. So if you are allergic to corn, arrowroot powder is an excellent alternative!}
    100_2621
    Next, scoop out about 4 tablespoons of coconut oil and add to your powder blend. The coconut oil is great for your skin and has anti-bacterial properties which means less “stank” causin’ bacteria! Whoo-hoo! Also, the coconut oil absorbs pretty quickly into the skin, leaving it nice and smooth.
    (note: from my experience, you should only use solidified oil…coconut oil will stay solid under 76 degrees…any hotter and you’ll have a melty mess! Your product will be icky and soupy!)
    100_2622
    Now, start blending these three ingredients. I used my pastry blender, but you can simply use a spoon and the results will be the same. If the consistency is too crumbly, just add more coconut oil. I ended up using about 6 tablespoons because I over measured my dry ingredients a little. Ooops! :)
    100_2624
    Okay, here ya go! I blended mine until it came off the sides of the bowl easily and all the powder was mixed in. You can see in the pictures below, the consistency is pretty thick. Almost the texture of the inside of a truffle, only a little fluffier!
    Haha…I am having a hard time describing the texture! Oh, well! :)

So, you can leave it as it is…fragrance free OR you can add a few more things…its totally up to you! I added about a 1/4 teaspoon of jojoba oil for extra moisture during winter. If you find the baking soda irritates your sensitive skin, try adding this or melted cocoa butter. I haven’t had any issues though.
    100_2628
    Add your choice of essential oils – I put 10 drops of Tea Tree oil (anti bacterial/fungal/viral), 10 drops of Peppermint (soothing),  5 drops of Myrrh (great for skin), 5 drops of Vanilla (soft smell) and 2 of drops Lavender oil (good natural preservative)
    It smells sooo good! Almost done, mix your smell-goodies in with a spoon and whaa-lah! Ain’t that perdy?
    100_2633
    Finally, spoon your home-made deodorant into a container of your choice. I used one of my pretty wide-mouth mason jars. Others have re-used old, cleaned deodorant containers, or simply a clean food storage container.
    100_2635
    Done! Okay, okay…I know some of you are going “How on earth is this gonna work? Does she think I am going to stick my hand in that and slather it on my underarms!?”  Well…yes, actually! Haha…I found the best way to apply the deodorant (for me) is to use my hands and gently rub into underarms, arm pits, whatever you call ’em. I also found it is best to allow shaven arm pits to dry first…the baking soda can irritate cut skin just like any other products can. Oh, and if your bathroom gets really warm (like mine) it’s best not to keep your deodorant in there, it will melt! I leave mine in the room where I get dressed, it stays cooler in there and I can put it on before I get dressed.
    100_2636
    Well, I hope you will do some research on the deodorant/antiperspirant you are using and consider switching to the lovely, works-just-as-well, homemade deodorant. May I also note…this is NOT an antiperspirant. God designed our bodies to perspire (sweat) for a reason. I just prefer not to “stank”!

What about you? What natural options have you tried to control B.O.?

p.s. If you don’t have time to make your own deodorant, I make/sell some on my Esty shop as a custom order 😉

About

Jasmine is a God-fearing, always-learning, stay-at-home-wife to the best husband in the world! In the past couple of years, her new found loves have become herbal fix ‘ems and things “all natural”! She is continually learning to slow down, enjoying the important, simple things in life…like naturally taking care of her home, husband and health. She really enjoys creating things “home-made” and showing others how to do the same! You can also connect with her on Twitter and Facebook.

17 Responses to “How To” DIY for the Week: All Natural Deodorant

1. December 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I am trying this right now! Can’t wait. I haven’t worn deo in weeks, and today after a couple hours of worship I was needing another shower, or so I felt! So I got cleaned up and now I am attempting to make this deo. Thanks for the recipe. Love you

2. December 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Jordan…I am glad you are trying this recipe! I would love to hear how it works for you and what changes you made (if any)!

3. December 14, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I am switching many things around the house. I am baking my own bread, will be making my own laundry detergent, am using herbs to heal and boost my immune system and have begun looking into making my own deodorant too. So thank you so much for this tutorial. I will definitely make this!!

4. December 14, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Tereza…you are welcome :) Isn’t it great to make healthier, natural choices for your home?! Let me know how the natural deodorant works for you!

5. December 15, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I have been wearing this deodorant for 5 days now and I love it! I goes on so smooth, and the best thing is no stinky smell anymore! Yay! I even have my mom using it! I will definitely make it again! Thanks for the recipe! {Oh, and I didn’t change anything.}

6. December 20, 2011 at 7:13 pm

So I made the deodorant today. My DH is a bit skeptical, so I used his empty deodorant container and put the goo in there!! :) I put it in the fridge to harden. I hope it works. I used only 3 T of virgin coconut oil. I put some on me when I was done mixing the ingredients and really liked how it felt. I hope my husband likes it. and today I am making the laundry detergent. I might do half of your recipe though to try it out, because my DH like yours has sensitive skin and he is sold out to Tide too. So we will see. I am hoping it really works. :) Thanks again for all the recipes and photos. :) Tereza PS where do you get your essentials oils?

7. December 21, 2011 at 4:43 am

Tereza…I am so glad you are trying these! Sounds like our hubbies are a lot alike :) As for the essential oils, I have purchased mine from my local health food store. I have also bought a few online. I found that common oils like citrus, lavender and tea tree you can find inexpensive at almost any natural health supplier. Just a word of caution, be sure to purchase PURE, natural essential oils, verses an artificial fragrance oil. The artificial stuff will make sensitive skin break out! No good! Try: http://www.nowfoods.com/Personal-Care/Products/Aromatherapy/index.htm http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/aroma/ess.html http://www.vitacost.com/ Have fun! And look for my upcoming post about essential oils! :

8. March 20, 2012 at 10:18 am

I just made a small batch with the following ratio:

2 Tbsp Corn Starch
      2 Tbsp Baking Soda
      1 Tbsp melted Coconut Oil
      approx 1/2 tsp jojoba oil
      a few drops of lavender and peppermint EOs

Because it’s unseasonably warm right now, my coconut oil was soupy, and I’ve been sweating and needed some stink relief. So I just used less coconut oil and it’s great! I was a little stinky when I put it on (it’s a soft paste) and it actually absorbed the underarm stank, and I feel like a fresh and clean human being again!

• March 20, 2012 at 11:33 am

Kate…Awesome! Thanks for letting us know how “melted” coconut oil worked for you! :)
        (and I think I got the pictures fixed too!)

9. March 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Yes and yes! :)

10. Heidi Cano
      June 12, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I have been making and using this for over a year now and it works better then any other deoderant I have ever used! Even my 15 year old son (Talk about STANK!) uses it and I never smell armpit! For anyone a bit skeptical, it really does work and is cheap and easy to make!

• June 13, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Yay Heidi! Good to know it controls teen-boy stank, lol!

11. June 13, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Hi Jasmine! Love your site!

I have been making my own deodorant for awhile now too. I would like to suggest melting the coconut oil before adding the dry ingredients – makes it much easier. Then you can add the essential oils and put the whole mixture in the fridge to harden. It blends so much more smoothly. I also found that using too much baking soda was too harsh for me, especially on days when I’ve had to reapply due to the hot weather. Therefore, I use less baking soda than cornstarch.

Blessings!

• June 13, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Sally…thanks for stopping by! I agree, too much baking soda can be irritating. My SIL makes her deo with melted coconut oil as well without any issues.

12. June 13, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Oh, I also wanted to mention that using aluminum-free baking soda is a MUST. One of the main bad things about using store-bought deodorants/antiperspirants is the presence of aluminum. I think it’s supposed to make it more smooth or something. But aluminum is bad news and should be avoided. I purchase the Bob’s Red Mill brand of baking soda for use in cooking and also my deodorant.

13. Jennifer
      October 28, 2013 at 8:33 am

Hi Jasmine. I’m just starting this journey, I was reading yesterday about homemade toothpaste and I’ve been wondering about the deodorant too. I’m interested in giving it a try and it’s awesome to hear it works on teenagers too!! I do have a couple questions, does the oil stain your clothes and do you have to reapply during the day? Thanks. =)

14. Lizzie3boys
      September 8, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Hello Jasmine! OK I’m allergic to corn starch AND arrowroot. Any suggestions? Many thanks!